Therapy Referrals and Resources
Welcome! I’ve created this page to serve as a centralized resource for how to find a therapist in Los Angeles County.
If you are a previous client, your new therapist is welcome to contact me to consult on your care, should you so wish.
- For life threatening emergencies, please dial 9-1-1 or proceed to the nearest emergency room.
- For individuals in crisis who require immediate mental health assistance, please contact the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health Emergency Outreach and Triage Division at the 24/7, toll-free ACCESS Hotline at 1-800-854-7771.
- The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is 1-800-273-8255.
- To access the Crisis Text Line, text START to 741-741
Anthem Blue Cross Mental Health Providers
I’ve listed providers who accept Anthem Blue Cross specifically in this section since the vast majority of people seeking services from me have had this insurance. That being said, many of these providers also accept insurance from other companies such as Aetna, Cigna, Kaiser, etc. These group practices are more likely to have immediate openings and a diversity of specialists than individual providers.
- Soultenders Clinic
- Access Health Counseling Center
- Fig Tree Counseling Center
- Lifestance Health
- UCLA Behavioral Health Associates
- Anthem Blue Cross of California has their own search tool for finding a psychotherapist (behavioral health provider) who accepts their insurance.
- If the above referrals do not pan out, you can access in-network referrals on their website at https://www.anthem.com/ca/find-care/
- The UCLA Counseling and Psychological Services Community Provider Database is another robust search resource that highlights clinicians who accept UC SHIP Anthem Insurance.
Sliding Scale and Affordable Mental Health Services
PROGRAMS WITH A SLIDING SCALE
- The Relational Center
- The Maple Counseling Center
- Women’s Mental Health Center
- Southern California Counseling Center
- Airport Marina Counseling Center
- Open Path Collective
PROGRAMS THAT ACCEPT MEDI-CAL
Searching for a Therapist
THERAPIST SEARCH ALTERNATIVES TO PSYCHOLOGY TODAY
- Therapy Den
- Inclusive Therapists
- UCLA Counseling and Psychological Services Community Provider Database
- Therapy for Queer People of Color
ASIAN AMERICAN THERAPISTS
- Asian Mental Health Collective
- Asian, Pacific Islander, and South Asian American (APISAA) Therapist Directory
- Yellow Chair Collective (accepts Cigna Insurance)
LGBTQ AFFIRMING THERAPISTS
- COLORS LGBTQ+ Youth Counseling Services (ages 25 and under)
- Airport Marina LGBTQIA+ Affirmative Therapy Center
- National Queer & Trans Therapists of Color Network
- Los Angeles LGBT Center
- Los Angeles Gender Center
- Through the Woods Counseling Center
DIALECTICAL BEHAVIORAL THERAPY INFORMED THERAPISTS
- Hardy Lansaw
- Nakisa Choupani
- Amy Graber
- Jennifer Oh
- For a list of comprehensive DBT programs in Los Angeles, please visit my page on DBT.
Resources for Individual Self Study and ‘Bibliotherapy’
BOOKS AND WORKBOOKS
- Centre for Clinical Interventions is an organization in Australia that develops evidence based psychotherapies and provides a number of really great, free, self-study handbooks for almost every topic imaginable. Check out their website for the full list of free resources. Some of my favorite free handouts include:
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy Workbook by McKay, Wood, and Brantly
- Mindfulness for OCD Workbook by Hershfield and Corboy
- Feeling Good by David Burns
- Oregon State University Academic Success Center- Learning Corner. The resources here were created for OSU students, but anyone with difficulty with time management, procrastination, and executive functioning can benefit.
PODCASTS AND YOUTUBE CHANNELS
The following are some of my favorite mental health related podcasts and Youtube channels
- The Skillful Podcast explores skills and concepts from Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) and Radically-Open Dialectical Behavior Therapy (RO-DBT) to help listeners reduce emotional suffering, improve their relationships and create the life they want.
- CBT Radio brings you the latest in the cognitive and behavioral therapies, and other evidence-based psychotherapies. Content for professionals and consumers.
- FearCast is a podcast for people coping with OCD and anxiety spectrum disorders who want to find a way to live better, fuller, and deeper. The podcast proposes that we can not snap our fingers to get rid of our fear and anxiety, but we can learn better ways to live along with our fear.
- Dr. Russ Harris – Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
- Jennifer May, PhD
FREE MINDFULNESS RESOURCES
- Headspace App – Free to all residents of Los Angeles County
- UCLA Mindful Awareness Research Center – Free meditation and drop in support for UCLA students interested in practicing mindfulness.